Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How To Tuesday: Separating Your Curls

Hello, I'm back from vacation. Did you miss me? Oh stop it, you're making me blush.

Now that I'm back I knew the first thing I wanted to do was talk about separating your curls. When I curl my hair, which is pretty much all the time, all I want to do is get my hands through it and separate them. I don't know why, some obsessive compulsive thing I guess.

But let me tell you what I did that I shouldn't have: put my hands through my freshly rodded hair. Talk about afro. I just kept saying to my hair, "no! go back please!" You don't talk to your hair? Hm. Weird. 

There are two methods to separate your curls. That's not true, there are a lot of methods, but I'm only going to tell you my two favorite.


Method #1: pick apart


This method is really good for tighter curls, a la Taylor Swift above. Basically, you're going to use your fingers to pick apart some curls, fluffing them out. But what's nice about this is that you're not doing every curls, so you don't get that afro look.

Method #2: run your hands through it


This method is definitely better for larger, looser curls. You just run your hands all through your curls, separating each one of them. This helps to let the curls fall, and depending on your desired look, create that more wavy outcome.


Bonus tip: put 'em back together

 If you ever find yourself saying what I did, "please go back!" Don't worry, you can put those curls back together. Just pump a bit of styling oil into your hands, and gently twist each curl, grouping them back into place. It might take a little practice, but just work with it. That hairdo can still be salvaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!